Skip to main content

My X-Carve first project

Well not my first ( I used the 2d drawings from inventables for the clamps to make a couple of clamps) but the most in-depth and coolest one to date.

I designed a hat and mitten rack for a friends children in SolidWorks, it provides 10 hangers per child for gloves, mittens, boots, or hats. It was designed around the constraints that it must all be machined from one 31" x 31" piece of wood. This includes the two halves and the base or feet. The two halves interlock to form what looks like a tree and that allows it to be small while having plenty of space for all of the drying needs of two small children.

V Carve Pro 7.0 is used for creating the code for my x carve to run in Mach4


I spaced out all the pieces in Solid Works by 7.5 mm to insure a 1/4 end mill could pass between all the parts without nicking and damaging any of the parts. I then used 1/4  Yonico end mill at 30ipm with a step down of 1.0 mm and a 40% step over to profile all of the pieces. I also used the Tabs function in V Carve to add a 1 inch tab that is 1.5 mm thick evenly spaced around the project every 4 inches, so that it would allow me to break these off and sand them smooth after the cutting was complete. 

 I also added the kids names to be machined into the halves so that I could paint in the pocket before sealing the project for water proofing.

The total run time was about 1 hour and 20 minutes.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Carving 3D STLs

Reading around on the inventables forums, I found a post about a new web based CAM generator from STLs, it also does other functions FDM and LASER, called kiri moto . For a web based CAM generator it does a good job, it is a work in progress and has been updated with new features already. Read the thread above for all that has happened in the past month. As for my project, I had some STL files for things I have 3D printed in the past, so I sliced and processed some code from kiri:moto. You can manage your tools and Post Processors in the web page and post code quickly. The videos and instructions are good to start but the results are the true test. Overall I am very happy with how it cut, I started in foam just so I could not worry about stray code and as it is not a simulator, like some other CAM software. It made good code for a free web based CAM generator and I look forward to the new additions as the developer continues improving this tool.  At this time I am eva

X-Carve calibration

I followed these steps: for the X and Y using the same shinwa machinist rule  and an engraving bit: I used a dial indicator to calibrate my Z axis as in this video I then calculated the change from the measured vs actual that I came up with from the initial setup and changed my settings in Mach4. I have not had to re-calibrate since I originally setup my X-Carve but I have also not pushed it too hard as of this point.